Hamilton Water Fountain restored
The public drinking fountain and memorial of pink Scottish granite has stood on Portman Square since 1887 when it was generously donated by Lady Hamilton – wife of Sir James Hamilton 2nd Baronet, through the Metropolitan Drinking Fountain and Cattle Trough Association. Founded in 1859, the Association provided free, freshwater to people and animals at a time when ale and spirits were easier to obtain and sometimes safer to drink than water.
Now, at a time when bottled water is more readily available to the public than free-flowing water, and approximately half of Britain’s water fountains are no longer in use, The Portman Estate has funded the restoration of this fountain, bringing it back to life once again.
It is hoped that by providing this free and constant supply of clean freshwater people visiting Portman Square will choose to take a drink or refill their water bottles. This in turn will help reduce waste and bring back a little piece of Marylebone’s history.